Transfer of Entitlement Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill

A special provision of the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows career service members to share unused educational benefits with their children and spouses.

Please review the Department of Defense Post 9/11 GI Bill Transferability Fact Sheet to determine if you are eligible for benefits.

Collecting benefits

  • The eligible person needs to apply to the Department of Defense to transfer Chapter 33 benefits to you, via the DoD Web site .
  • Once Transfer of Eligibility is approved, file your application for educational benefits (VA Form 22-1990E) electronically through VONAPP or by printing it out and mailing/faxing it to the VA Regional Office serving the western United States:

    VA Regional Office
    PO Box 8888
    Muskogee, OK 74402-8888
    Fax 918-781-7863
  • The VA will issue you Certificate of Eligibility. Please submit the certificate as well as a DD214 to SAGU. If the individual you are a dependent of is still in the military, please submit a copy of your military ID instead of a DD 214. Or mail/fax it to:

    Veterans Affairs
    Southwestern Assemblies of God University
    1200 Sycamore St
    Waxahachie, TX 75165
    Fax: 972-923-8147
  • Contact SAGU when you apply so we can be sure you select the correct classes and so we can submit your Enrollment Certification to the VA (VA Form 22-1999); any benefits to which you are entitled will start only after you've completed this last step. ( Veterans Affairs / 972-825-4642)

VA Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

You may qualify for VA educational benefits under Chapter 35 if your parent or spouse died or is permanently and totally disabled as a result of his or her military service. Call the VA’s toll-free number 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) to determine if you are eligible for assistance. Be sure to have your parent's or spouse's VA file number available when you call.

Collecting Benefits

  • Complete VA Form 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance. If you've collected benefits in the past, skip the application and complete VA Form 22-5495, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training when you visit our office to certify your enrollment.
  • Establish your educational benefits eligibility through the VA by filing electronically using VONAPP , or by printing it out and mail or fax to VA.

    VA Regional Office
    PO Box 8888
    Muskogee, OK 74402-8888
    F: (918) 781-7863
  • Submit a copy of the DD 214 of the individual whom the benefits are through as well as a Certificate of Eligibility. (You will receive this when you apply through VONAPP)

    Veterans Affairs
    1200 Sycamore St,
    Waxahachie, TX 75165
    F: 972-923-8147
    E: [email protected]
    P: 972-825-4642

Other Benefits

SAGU provides staff in the Registrar’s Office to assist you with your VA educational benefits. Keep in mind, we are employees of the University, not the VA.

If you need information about specific VA benefits, contact the VA directly:

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Education Benefits
P: 1-888-GI BILL 1 (1-888-442-4551)
Back to Top