The women’s dormitory, Collins Hall (then Drane Hall) was built in 1919 when it was still owned by Trinity University. The left wing was built a year later.
The left wing of Collins Hall was built in 1920.
The men’s dormitory in 1940 before Southwestern Bible Institute (SBI) renovated the building
Davis Hall after renovation in 1943
Board of Directors at the burning of SBI’s note
The SBI property was purchased from Trinity for $50,000 in June 1943 and was paid off in 18 months. (Sitting, left to the right) C.P. Robinson, F.D. Davis, President and Judge C.V. Compton. (Standing) M.R. Summers, E.R. Winter, T.W. Reagan and C.B. Braune
First Southwestern Junior College class (1944)
Claxton Gymnasium (1946), one of the three original buildings on the campus when purchased in 1943
Aside from holding many athletic events, it was the site of many powerful revival services.
The school orchestra (front) prepares for chapel worship (1950). This room is now known as McCafferty Hall.
In the 50s, SAGU acquired 85 acres of farmland to grow crops for use and sale.
Davis Hall burns down (1953) after a fire. No one was injured, but the boys lost all their possessions. Local families allowed displaced students to stay with them. Others stayed on the first floor of the Farmer Administration Building. Lack of additional housing expedited the rebuilding process.
Influenced by Vice President George Brazell’s acquisition of a real, four-month-old lion cub named Judah (1958), SAGU adopted the lion at its mascot in 1963.
Under Delmer Guynes’s presidency, SAGU paid off the federal debt on the Administration building. Under conditions of the loan, the university was not allowed to hold any religious classes in the building. On November 5, 1983, Dr. Guynes held a “March of Bibles” into the building to celebrate Bible classes returning to the building.
Enrollment surpassed 1,000 students (1995). The students pictured were the last 5 students to enroll.