Aramark launches Healthy for Life™
Waxahachie, Texas — October 18, 2013 — Southwestern Assemblies of God University (SAGU) Dining/Aramark launches Healthy for Life™, a comprehensive and integrated approach to health and wellness that features healthy food choices, nutrition education, and wellness programs that work together to support healthier lifestyles.
Aramark Food Service Director Scott Regan said, “Students are thinking differently about their menu choices and are actively seeking information about how nutrition impacts their health.” He continued, "Healthy for Life™ helps students gain a better understanding of food and empowers them to make the choices that will ultimately help them live healthier lives.”
Healthy for Life™ includes menus featuring lower calorie, lower fat, whole grain and vegetarian or vegan choices, as well as a variety of tools, programs and events designed to make it easy for students to select balanced food choices and learn how they can establish and maintain life-long healthy eating habits.
Some of the Healthy for Life™ program elements include:
- CampusDish™ Nutrition Smartphone App: This free tool can be downloaded by smartphone users to quickly and easily search and view menus by location, item and nutritional content.
- Healthy for Life™ Nutrition Station: Located in the Sheaffer Building, this wellness center serves as a central location for nutrition and wellness information on campus.
- Just4U Nutrition Messaging: This menu labeling system features bright, colorful, easy to identify, leaf shaped icons to alert students to foods that are low in fat; 500 calories or less; organic; locally grown; low sodium; steamed and more.
- Campus Wellness Walk: A customized virtual tour, the Wellness Walk showcases healthier options across campus and alerts students to the menu selections that are available at each dining location.
- Special Events and Promotions: Throughout the school year, on-site health fairs, healthy food sampling events, cooking demonstrations by ARAMARK chefs and wellness workshops with ARAMARK dietitians will take place to continuously encourage students to eat well.
On more than 30 college and university campuses where the program was piloted, ARAMARK found that Healthy for Life™ helped students gain a better understanding of food and empowered them to make balanced food choices. Feedback from participants at pilot locations emphasized that Healthy for Life™ works because it’s a lifestyle program, not a diet program.
ARAMARK Healthy for Life™ builds on proprietary research as well as global health trends that focus on wellness, good nutrition and healthy lifestyles. More than 75 percent of students surveyed by ARAMARK Higher Education* in the past year indicated they are striving to be careful about what they eat and want to know how to make better nutrition and lifestyle choices.
Check out the program in action: Healthy for Life YouTube Video
For more information and a list of our services, visit www.aramarkhighered.com
Southwestern Assemblies of God University (SAGU) is a private, Christian university located 30 minutes south of theDallas/Fort Worth Metroplex in Waxahachie, Texas. The university was established in 1927, and now offers more than 70 associate, bachelor’s or master’s degrees on campus or online. More information is available at www.sagu.edu or by calling 1-888-YES-SAGU.