SAGU ranked 8th in NCCAA football
Campbellsville wins Victory Bowl, 21-7
Two member teams still alive in NCAA D2 and NAIA playoffs
WAXAHACHIE, Texas -- The National Christian College Athletic Association’s most recent rankings show that Southwestern Assemblies of God University finished the regular season in a tie for eighth of the 16 member teams.
SAGU was near the top after their 3-1 start, but slipped following a few tough setbacks. They finished at 4-6.
The top two teams qualified for either the NAIA or NCAA D2 playoffs, leaving Greenville College and Campbellsville University to play for the NCCAA’s Victory Bowl.
The game was played last week in Campbellsville, Kentucky, with the host Tigers thumping Greenville, 21-7. CU finished at 7-5 while the Panthers wrapped up their season at 7-4.
North Greenville University (Tigerville, SoCaro) won their first-ever playoff game in the NCAA Division II last week in a 63-14 rout of Albany State University (8-4) (NY). The NGU Crusaders are now 10-2.
They will play the Mars Hill College Lions (8-2) on Saturday, November 26, in North Carolina.
The Cougars, from suburban LA, defeated the NAIA’s #10 ranked Ottawa University (Kan), 49-26, in the first round of the national playoffs. This week they are on the road (Helena, Mont) to face 6-time national champion Carroll College (11-1) in the quarterfinals.
2011 NCCAA Football Standings*
1. North Greenville University (10-2); Tigerville, SC
2. Azusa Pacific University (8-2); Azusa, Cal
3. Greenville College (7-4); Greenville, Ill
4. Campbellsville University (7-5); Campbellsville, Ky
5. Northwestern College (6-4); St. Paul, Minn
6. Trinity Bible College (5-5); Ellendale, ND
7. Olivet Nazarene University (5-6); Bourbonnais, Ill
8. Southwestern Assemblies of God University (4-6)
8. Geneva College (4-6); Beaver Falls, Pa
10. Malone University (4-7); Canton, Oh
*as of November 21, 2011