Please click on the link above to email her or you may contact her by phone at 972.825.4759.
State and Federal Information
Students wishing to take the TExES Exam for Educator Certification must first meet the requirements set forth by the Teacher Education Department.
Students meeting these requirements may complete the TExES Eligibility Form available from the Education Office.
State & Federal Reports
Recognized for its high quality, Southwestern's Education Department graduates have achieved very high ranking by the State of Texas with its graduates scoring a 98.81% pass rate for the past two years on the state test for teacher certification. According to the national Title II report, whch ranks universities by state, SAGU achieved the highest rank possible by the federal government by scoring in the top quartile in the state of Texas, with 97% of its students passing state certification requirements.
Student Teaching for Undergraduates
Eligible students must complete application for student teaching by the assigned date in the academic calendar the semester preceding the student teaching assignment. Applications may be obtained from the Teacher Education Office or can be downloaded by click the link above. To be eligible for admission to student teaching, a student must:
- Have been approved to the Education Program at SAGU.
- Have completed, or be enrolled in, all prescribed coursework.
- Have a minimum of 2.75 GPA in all course work related to education and the area of specialization.
- Have successfully completed a minimum of 45 hours of field experience prior to student teaching.
The Teacher Education Committee will review all applications to determine eligibility for student teaching. Admission to the Teacher Education Program does not necessarily ensure acceptance into Student Teaching. Applicants will be notified in writing of the Committee’s decision. Appeals to a decision must be made in writing to the Teacher Education Committee and to the Vice President for Academics.
Student Teaching is a privilege granted to the student through the courtesy of the school and/or district to which the student teacher is assigned. Prompt and regular attendance and complete cooperation with the master teacher is required. Students are advised to become familiar with the Student Teaching Handbook prior to student teaching.
Students may not maintain outside employment while student teaching. During the final semester, the academic load will be limited to 15 hours of block courses and student teaching.
Students who do not graduate within six months of student teaching will lose credit for the course and MUST repeat student teaching. Candidates who withdraw or are withdrawn from a student teaching assignment must be reviewed by the Teacher Education Committee prior to consideration for an additional student teaching assignment.
TASP / TEA Information
The Texas Academic Skills Program (TASP) Test has become the Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA) Test. The content of the test has not changed just the name.
Students who have not previously taken or made a sufficient score on the TASP/THEA are required to take it until a passing score is obtained before being admitted to the Teacher Education Program. Students may receive THEA practice test information through the THEA website below.
For students living in the Waxahachie area, the Quick THEA is offered at Navarro College. You may contact Navarro at 1-800-628-2776 for times, cost, and availability.
- Educators' Code of Ethics
- Lesson Plan Rubric
- Lesson Plan Template
- Teacher Education Program Application
- Consent to Obtain and Release TExES Information
- Student Teacher Application
- Education Flow Chart
- Field Experience Verification Form
- FERPA Consent to Release Educational Records and Information
- Field Experience Guidelines for On Campus Students
- Field Experience Guidelines for SDE Students
- Recommendation Request
- Work Agreement
- State Board for Educator Certification
- Region 10 Education Service Center
- Region 12 Education Service Center
- Association of Christian Schools International
- Association of Christian Teachers and Schools
- Region 10 TxBESS
- Texas Education Agency (TEA)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)