E.R. Foster Memorial Scholarship
The E.R. Foster Memorial Scholarship was founded in 1987 in honor of E. Ralph Foster, Jr., a businessman in Amarillo, Texas, and a dependable and loyal supporter of First Assembly of God in Amarillo long after his father, the Rev. E.R. Foster, left after pastoring there for 38 years.
Born on August 19, 1907, Rev. E.R. Foster went to his reward on January 18, 1990 after a lifetime of ministry in the Assemblies of God. At the time of his death, his name was added to the Scholarship. Rev. Foster's heart was totally in ministry, and his desire was to see young men and women dedicate their lives to the ministry. He was a member of the Board of Regents and the Board of Directors of Southwestern for many years, and his love for that organization was evidenced in his generous support throughout his lifetime.
Southwestern's old cafeteria was named jointly the Foster-Mundt Cafeteria, honoring both Rev. Foster and Brother and Sister Martin Mundt, who operated the cafeteria for many years. When the cafeteria was relocated and named the Mundt Cafeteria, the old cafeteria building was renovated and dedicated as the Foster Music Center, in honor of Rev. Foster who was a great music man and lover of Christian music.
Rev. Foster's connection with Southwestern began in the early 1930's. He was pastor of First Assembly of God and Chaplain of the Shield of Faith Bible School in Amarillo, Texas where his wife, the Rev. Jo Ellen Foster taught before it consolidated with two other schools and became the Southwestern Bible Institute. Southwestern was the focus of Rev. Foster's extended ministry of 67 years, as he personally was instrumental in influencing many young people to attend there and establish themselves in the ministry. Three of his own children and many of his nephews, nieces and church family attended Southwestern.
The E.R. Foster Memorial Scholarship is designed to make funds available for many students who are studying for the mission field or other ministry areas for generations to come.
- He began his ministry in 1923, at age 16, traveling with a team in music and evangelism.
- In 1927 he received his ministerial license with the Assemblies of God.
- He was ordained in 1929 and served as pastor and evangelist in Grand Island, Nebraska.
- In 1933 he was called to pastor the First Assembly of God Church in Amarillo, Texas.
- He served as District Presbyter for two years.
- He served as General Presbyter from 1935 to 1971 and was Honorary General Presbyter until his homecoming in 1990.
- He was the Assistant District Superintendent of the West Texas District Council from 1935 to 1971.
- He helped to establish and served as Coordinator for the Seven-District Prayer and Bible Conference for several years.
- He was campus pastor and teacher in the former Shield of Faith Bible School in Amarillo.
- He served both as Secretary and Chairman of the Board of Regents of Southwestern Assemblies of God University.
- He was a member of the Board of Directors of the Latin American Bible Institute.