Transfer of Credits from Accredited Colleges or Universities
Credit for courses that have been earned at other regionally accredited colleges or universities with a grade of “C-“ or above and meet the requirements of the student’s chosen degree may be transferred into undergraduate studies at SAGU. Courses completed with a grade of “D+” or above will not be accepted in transfer.
Students must request official transcripts from their previous institutions be sent to the Admissions Office in order to transfer credit. Official transcripts must come directly from the sending institution. The University determines acceptable transfer credit from other institutions based on evaluation of course content as described in the catalogs of those institutions and in consultation with appropriate academic units at SAGU as necessary for clarification. Transfer credit may only be received for course work completed at regionally accredited institutions, or institutions which satisfy SAGU’s Unaccredited College Policy. A lower lever course that is transferred for an upper-level course does not count towards the upper level hour requirement.
Transfer of Credits from an Unaccredited CollegeIn order to have courses from an unaccredited college evaluated, the student must complete the following steps:
- An official transcript (signed and sealed) must be sent directly from the college to the Admissions Office.
- An official transcript from the sending college as to the duration of courses must be provided. This must include how many minutes the course met each day, how many days it met each week, and how many weeks it met in each semester.
- Letters from at least three (3) colleges that are regionally accredited or accredited with the ABHE unaccredited college in question must be submitted. In addition, a statement of how the credits are accepted should accompany the letters (for example, the credits are accepted on probation, only half of the credits area accepted, only Bible courses are accepted, etc).
- A catalog that has a full course description of each course represented on the transcript must be provided. The student must provide a syllabus for each course.
- Please note that students transferring credits from unaccredited institutions will be required to submit ACT/SAT scores regardless of total number of hours transferred.
- Finally, the students must validate the transfer of unaccredited courses by earning at least a 2.0 grade point average during the first 24 credit hours of study at SAGU.
Credit is reviewed on a course by course basis. Former military personnel may receive up to four (4) hours of physical education credit with proper documentation.
Vocational/Technical CreditGeneral Guidelines for Acceptance of Vocational Type Credit
SAGU will accept a limited amount of vocational/technical credit towards the completion of a degree. Courses that are terminal in nature and focus on a single trade or craft (cosmetology, massage therapy, automotive, etc.) are not eligible for transfer. Also, SAGU will only transfer credit from institutions for which transfer is a stated option and are accredited by a CHEA-recognized accrediting agency. SAGU does not accept vocational that are awarded through Continuing Education Units (CEUs).Courses eligible for transfer should meet the following requirements:
Courses are transcripted as college credit and are not terminal in nature. Transferring institution is accredited by a CHEA-recognized accrediting agency. Courses cover a range of intellectual and professional skills rather than narrowly focusing on a repetitive single skill set or craft. Correspondence WorkSAGU will accept up to twelve hours of correspondence work from a regionally accredited university toward a degree.